TL-USBDFU is a host-side, cross-platform, customizable software solution that implements firmware upgrade via USB. It works with devices that are compliant to the USB device class specification for Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) version 1.1. The solution is available for Windows, macOS and Linux.
The overall software architecture is shown right.
The core component is a dynamic link library which provides a cross-platform implementation of the DFU protocol. The library exposes a unified, C-style API which behaves in the same way on all supported platforms. Based on this API custom applications or scripts can be built which work across all platforms. A customizable application with graphical user interface and a command line based utility is included.
- Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows Server 2016 64-bit
- Windows Server 2019 64-bit
- macOS 11 (Big Sur)
- macOS 10.15 (Catalina)
- macOS 10.14 (Mojave)
- Linux kernel 4 and later (32-bit and 64-bit)
TL-USBDFU Key Features
- Works with DFU 1.1 compliant devices
- Supports USB 2.0 full speed and high speed, and USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 super speed or higher
- C-Style, script-friendly, cross-platform programming interface
- SDK with sample code available
- Driver-less operation on Windows 10, macOS, Linux
GUI Utility for Windows and macOS
The TL-USBDFU solution includes an application with multi-language graphical user interface for Windows and macOS. The application can be configured through an external .xml file. Firmware images can be bundled with the application, and a matching image will be selected automatically for the connected USB device. The user interface supports multiple languages. English and German translations are included.
DFU Application Key Features
- Application behavior is customizable through external .xml file using common syntax and semantics for Windows and macOS
- Firmware image files can be bundled with the application; the image will be selected depending on the detected device type
- User-friendly and foolproof firmware update for a set of different device models (device family) can be delivered as one single software package
- Additional user-interface languages can be implemented through external text files with unified format for Windows and macOS; only one translation effort needed to support both platforms
- Branding supported: application name, icon and title can be customized
Software Development Kit
- C API declaration (.h file) and reference documentation
- Source code of command line based utility
- Source code of GUI utility (graphical user interface)
Some examples where the TL-USBDFU solution is useful are given below.
- USB Audio Class 2.0 or Audio/MIDI 1.0 device which works with Windows and macOS built-in class drivers but DFU support is missing
- USB Audio Class 2.0 and/or MIDI device (e.g. XMOS based) which works with Thesycon’s TUSBAudio driver on Windows but DFU support is missing on macOS
- USB device which works with built-in class drivers (e.g. CDC/ACM, Mass Storage) but requires firmware update support as well
- USB device which requires a uniform DFU API under Windows and Linux to implement script-based firmware programming during development and in the factory
Software made in Germany
Our software is purely designed and implemented by our team in Germany - no outsourcing. Technical support is provided directly by the developers.
Free Demo, Licensing conditions & Prices
Current Version: 2.50
NOTE: The software described on this page is *not for use by end users*. It will not help solve any problems you may experience with a consumer device. Licenses are only available for hardware or software manufacturers.
To receive a free evaluation version, prices or license agreement, please fill out the contact form.
© 2021 THESYCON